Click on this link to see what I did yesterday. (My camera is acting up and I'm not sure how to put phone pictures on here.)
Anyway, I thought this would be an easy project.
1) Cut the vinyl tablecloth.
(It was sold as a 'chalkboard tablecloth for $1)
2) Tape the top of it to the door.
3) Raise the tablecloth up to the taped area and use spray adhesive to adhere it to the door.
4) Smooth with a rag.
5) Admire your work.
Everything went well. I got through all 5 steps. After I put away the tape, scissors, razor knife, etc. I took another look at it.
"Wrinkles! Those wrinkles weren't there when I finished."
Before my very eyes the black vinyl pulled away from the flocked backing and looked like a wrinkled, black, hound dog.
"The spray glue didn't like to be united with the vinyl!"
I pulled the black wrinkled mess off the door and was left with a hairy looking mass of flocked backing evenly covering the 'blackboard' area. Now, I had a furry door! I could see my leisure afternoon changing into a workhouse of scraping fur off the door. I didn't want to do that!
I cut another piece of the tablecloth and adhered it to the door with very short staples from my electric staple gun. Now, I had ugly staples showing. I had to go to town.
After driving the 10 miles to town, I found some black checked duct tape to cover over the staples. There was zebra print, but I had to keep Terry's taste in mind. We have black checked curtains in the kitchen, so that was the choice.
In a matter of minutes, it was finished. I think it turned out okay. It would have been a whole lot easier to paint the chalkboard paint onto the door. Lesson learned.